Airbnb Disaster Tool
At time of this project our team lacked the resources to truly overhaul the product. We would have to settle for now with a coat of visual polish. Believing this tool to be representational of Airbnb's mission and simply the right thing to work on, myself, a content strategist and a small group of engineers volunteered to overhaul the product together in our free time. The rest is history.
- Thousands of hosts have opened their homes
- Hundreds of survivors displaced and relief workers have been accommodated
- Hosts have become a local resource for the relief workers responding in places like Ecuador and Nepal
- Hosts have become local volunteers alongside the relief workers responding in places like Nepal
- Often when hotels are not available, Airbnb listings are the perfect solution (and often the only option in places like the Island of Dominica)
Airbnb's disaster response tool directly aligns with our core business strategy of providing temporary accommodations and engaging our community of hosts. In this specific initiative our hosts are opening their homes to share with neighbors impacted or relief workers who have come to support their community in a time of need.